Woman dies from bacteria after eating Oysters

There are quite a lot of people who suffer from “seafood” allergy that some even consider such as just an “ordinary” allergy which can be cured by drinking anti-allergy medicines. However, one should be aware of the fact that allergy is never a joke as it could lead to sudden death especially if complications occur. Just like this woman from Texas who thought she was just suffering from another ordinary allergy after she ate raw oysters with her friends.

Oysters may be one of the most delicious products of the sea. Most people enjoy eating it raw with just a squeeze of lemon or a dash of hot sauce to couple it with. But, these people are somehow unaware of the fact that this tasty mollusk also pose certain health risks.

In fact, oysters may contain a certain type of bacteria called Vibrio vulnificus that can cause severe illness and death in people with certain underlying medical conditions. Jeanette LeBlanc from Texas contracted the disease after eating several oysters—and died three weeks later.

Image may contain: 1 person, hat, sunglasses, outdoor, water and nature

According to Viral 4 Real, LeBlanc went crabbing with a few friends in Louisiana back in September. LeBlanc and her friend Karen Bowers picked up some raw oysters in a Westwego market for a treat. The two women ate about two dozen raw oysters each before LeBlanc became ill, Bowers said.

In 36 hours after eating the oysters, LeBlanc developed rashes all over her legs and they thought it was just another allergic reaction. However, two days later, her conditioned worsened and her family brought her to the hospital. Doctors then informed them that she had vibrio- a “flesh-eating bacteria.” LeBlanc had severe wounds on her legs from that bacteria.

 

LeBlanc even managed to fight with the bacteria for 21 days but hopelessly lost to it and was declared dead on October 15, 2017.

LeBlanc’s feat should serve as a lesson to everyone to always be careful of the food we intake and not just treat any allergy as an ordinary one. Instead, consult a physician immediately so proper care and medication could be made.